Cake Mafia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cake Mafia

beating pinatas with sticks in hopes of getting bigger sticks to beat bigger pinatas with since 2004.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stats Project

Go down 
+19
Garimm
cip
Gemdiver
Mandragoran
Seton
Goris
Verstorbene
colbearx
bli
Broly
kyokusanagi
MinisterofDeath
slowbro
Hb
Joy
sheep
Emer
Salve
Hurikane
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hurikane
Albino
Albino

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 12:45 pm

I am doing a stats project and i need 40 people to answer this ASAP! please help and tell people that dont lurk forums to pop in and answer. Please dont be funny with bogus answers because i have to do a lot of work with these numbers and outliers from people saying they are 8 feet tall is just going to be annoying so answer truthfully! Thank you everyone who helps

Height: (Inches please or if ur retarded and cant convert ill do it for you)
Pet Owner:
Called for Jury Duty:
Served on a Jury:
Back to top Go down
Salve
Officer
Salve

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Hours of Sleep: 8
Height: 73"
Pet Owner: Yes
Called for Jury Duty: Yes
Served on a Jury: No
Back to top Go down
Emer
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Hours of Sleep: 6-7 on avg per night
Height: 64"

Um....how do these questions relate to your project?
Back to top Go down
sheep
High Warlord
High Warlord
sheep

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm

my guess is its a stats/psych correlation study...most of the questions are a throw off and he's probably looking for relationships between two of them for example gender and pet owner or something.

Hours of Sleep: 6.5
Height: 72"
Pet Owner: No
Back to top Go down
Hurikane
Albino
Albino

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:51 pm

1. Write an introductory paragraph describing how you gathered your sample. Be sure to address how you made your sample random. Be specific – don’t just say “I randomly surveyed 40 people.” I want to know how you made it random2. What type of sampling technique were you using? Also address any problems that may have arisen as you did your sample3. Are there any biases in your sampling method4?

2. For “hours of sleep per night”
a. Calculate the sample descriptive statistics (mean/median/mode, standard deviation, quartiles)
b. Draw a graphical display of the data.
c. Using your sample, determine a 95% confidence interval for the mean hours of sleep for all Americans. Be sure to interpret the answer.

3. For “jury duty service”
a. What proportion of your sample has ever been called to serve on a jury? What proportion of your sample actually served on a jury?
b. Using your sample, determine a 95% confidence interval for the proportion of all Americans that have been called to jury duty. Be sure to interpret your answer.
c. Using your sample, determine a 95% confidence interval for the proportion of all Americans who actually served on a jury.

4. For the variable “female height” OR “male height”
a. Calculate the mean and standard deviation for either male height or female height for your sample.
b. Draw a graphic display for the height data you used in part a5. Does your distribution seem to be symmetric? Why or why not?
c. It is claimed that “The average height of American men is 70 inches and
the average height of American women is 64 inches.” Conduct a
hypothesis test at the .05 level for one of these statements. Use the same
variable that you used to answer parts a and b. Be sure to include all the
steps in the testing process.

5. For the variable “pet ownership”
a. What percent of your sample are pet owners?
b. It is claimed that “Fewer than 70% of Americans are pet owners.” Using your sample, conduct a hypothesis test at the .05 level to determine the validity of the claim. Be sure to include all steps in the testing process.

6. Write a summary paragraph describing the results of your project. How well do you think you have predicted the average hours of sleep and the proportion of left handed Americans? Why? How well did your sample match the two population claims that you tested? Did anything in your sample or your analysis surprise you? What would you do differently if you were to do this project again?
Back to top Go down
Hurikane
Albino
Albino

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Basically each type of data lets us utilize something that we have learned over the past few weeks
Back to top Go down
Joy
Meathead
Meathead

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Hours of Sleep: 7
Height: 63"
Called for Jury Duty: No
Served on a Jury: I'm not legal
Back to top Go down
Salve
Officer
Salve

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Scotty let me know if you want some help brosef. He's some tips for free.

This survey isn't taking people's age and citizenship status as a stat, so you'll want to note that in your biases, particularly the jury duty questions (some of your sample is probably ineligible).

Your sample size probably won't be big enough to get a very certain 95% CI on people that actually served on jury duty. The lower half of the CI will probably bottom out at 0 (you'll get a negative number for the lower bound, but that's not feasible) which means you probably need more data points.

Your male and female heights are going to be a two sided Z test with alpha=.025.

Your pet question is going to be a one sided ratio test...I think you use a t-test for ratios. alpha=.05 cause it's one sided.

The servers need to come up soon so that I don't keep thinking about stats.

Last edited by Salve on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hb
Officer
Hb

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Joy wrote:

Served on a Jury: I'm not legal

Wait what
Back to top Go down
slowbro
Albino
Albino
slowbro

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Hours of sleep; 10 - 11
Height: 73"
Called for Jury duty: No
Served on Jury duty: No
Back to top Go down
Emer
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:29 pm

I was going to comment about the ratio of males to females that use our forums, but assumed Scotty is not a moron and would collect data from other places as well so he would have more than 2 females' heights to use.

P.S. Salve - I'm taking econometrics in the fall and will probably call you crying about how much I hate stats and will need your halp for my homeworks since you're so good at it.
Back to top Go down
sheep
High Warlord
High Warlord
sheep

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:31 pm

can i call you the NAPster potter? (11 hours, i hate you so much).
Back to top Go down
Hurikane
Albino
Albino

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I didn't come up with these catagories, My teacher did. I litterally copied and pasted. Everything will work out as long as i get 40 people. Thanks for your insight though!
@Emer: I am also surveying my office which is 60% women so its not going to be my internet pals lewl

Last edited by Hurikane on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MinisterofDeath
Pale
Pale
MinisterofDeath

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Hours of Sleep: 8
Height: 73
Called for Jury Duty: No

Last edited by MinisterofDeath on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kyokusanagi
High Warlord
High Warlord
kyokusanagi

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:00 pm

Hours of Sleep: 3-4h a days
Height: (Inches please or if ur retarded and cant convert ill do it for you) 5'7
Called for Jury Duty: Not citizenship, NO
Served on a Jury: NO
Back to top Go down
Broly
Captain Hook
Captain Hook
Broly

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Height: (Inches please or if ur retarded and cant convert ill do it for you): 75
Back to top Go down
Emer
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:34 pm

MinisterofDeath wrote:

Height: 61"

WTF I'm taller than Parker! YAY!
Back to top Go down
kyokusanagi
High Warlord
High Warlord
kyokusanagi

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Emer wrote:
Hours of Sleep: 6-7 on avg per night
Height: 64"

Um....how do these questions relate to your project?

oh wow.... 6'4........ azn is short..... I hate my life
Back to top Go down
sheep
High Warlord
High Warlord
sheep

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 pm

kyo can you l2read...64 inches = 5'4". Any woman that is 6'4" would be freakin scary.
Back to top Go down
bli
Albino
Albino
bli

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Hours of Sleep: 6-8
Height: 67"
Pet Owner: yes
Called for Jury Duty: no
Served on a Jury: no
Back to top Go down
MinisterofDeath
Pale
Pale
MinisterofDeath

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm

no im retarded and didn't convert i just put 61 sigh ill fix it for you scotty~!
Back to top Go down
Hurikane
Albino
Albino

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks guys for the information so far! i need a lot more so please just take the 10 seconds to fill out a simple post
Back to top Go down
colbearx
Meathead
Meathead
colbearx

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Height: 75
Back to top Go down
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jo845910/
Broly
Captain Hook
Captain Hook
Broly

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:36 pm

can u stop copying n pasting mine colbear thxxx!
Back to top Go down
colbearx
Meathead
Meathead
colbearx

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 pm

I figured that if i lived like the manny and gained the physical attributes of the manny, that i would then gain the skills of the manny. It's my current strat for getting season 4 glad. I think adopting a few pets, bailing on jury duty, and paying for leg extension surgery is worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jo845910/
Sponsored content

Stats Project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stats Project   Stats Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stats Project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cake Mafia :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: